Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Benefits (BN)
BN - WED - HSA Annual Election Above Limit Report
This WED report identifies employees who are above the maximum annual election limit for their Health Savings Account. Benefit Administrators must create an Event and manually adjust the annual election to ensure the employee remains within the current year's IRS maximum limits so they do not incur a tax penalty.
- An employee can choose to change their Health Savings Account Annual Election at anytime during the plan year without a qualifying event. However, the Annual Election cannot be lower than the contributions already deducted year to date.
- Please note that annual limits can and do change from year to year. The 2019 Contribution Limits are as follows:
HSA Limits breakdown by month:
- The max family contribution limit is $7,000, which includes both employer and employee contributions. ($8000 max family contribution limit for over Age 55).
- If an employee started in January, the max they can contribute is $5500 due to the amount of monthly employer contributions remaining for the year. ($6500 max employee contribution limit for over Age 55).
- The max employee contribution limit will increase if the employee started later in the year because the amount of employer contributions remaining, is less than a full year towards the max family contribution limit.
- Employer contributions will only be contributed starting from the month of enrollment and forward.
1. Log into HRS. The Workflow Exception Dashboard queries will appear based on your current security and whether there is an error to fix. Use TE - WED - Workflow Exception Dashboard for additional guidance.
2. Click on the UW_BN_HSA_ABOVE_LIMIT query hyperlink in the Workflow Exception Dashboard (WED).
A current list of employees who are enrolled in a Health Savings Account (HSA) whose annual pledge is above the current year's limit will be displayed.
This list will be refreshed each evening. (Note: Empl_ID's that appear
as hyperlinks in the list have more than one error.)
4. Click the 'Check to Claim' checkbox next to the person you wish to work with and your name will appear in the Claimed By section with the date and time noted.
5. Click the FSA_BENEFITS hyperlink for the employee you have claimed.
The employee's Spending Accounts enrollment pages will be displayed.
Click on the arrow button to navigate to Plan Type 67 'Health Savings
7. Navigate to Benefits > Enroll in Benefits > Health Benefits
8. Check Plan Type 10 State Group Health to determine if employee's level of coverage is Single or Family.
9. Determine the what the maximum annual election for this employee for this level of coverage is for the current plan year.
10. If the employee's annual election is over the maximum, navigate to Benefits > Manage Automated Enrollment > Events > Review BAS Activity to add an FSA Event to lower the annual election. (See BN - Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table )
- Benefit Administrators will need to create an FSA Event with an Event Date equal to the original row that is over the HSA limit.
Example: 2/1/19 Coverage Begin Date with Annual Election = $2812.50. The FSA Event Date = 2/1/19.
11. After creating the Event, navigate to On-Demand Event Maintenance following BN - Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance procedures.
12. Complete the entry to lower the HSA annual election appropriately.
- IMPORTANT: The HSA annual election cannot be lowered to be less than what the employee has already contributed YTD. Employees may be over the maximum annual election, if they are not receiving the full employer share due to not starting their coverage effective 1/1.
13. BN - Review Benefit Enrollments to verify the annual election amount and the Coverage Begin Date is accurate.
14. Notify the employee of the change that was made.
15. Mark the employee as Completed on the WED.
- BN - Review Benefit Enrollments
- BN - Reprocessing Events Using On Demand Event Maintenance
- TE - WED - Workflow Exception Dashboard
- BN - Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table