Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Benefits (BN)
BN - Flex Spending Account/Limited Purpose Flex Spending Account New Hire Enrollment Process
New employees can elect a Medical, Dependent Care, or Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account (FSA) by completing an FSA Enrollment form within 30 days of their date of hire or by completing their elections on line using Self Service.
- If an employee is enrolling in the Limited Purpose FSA (LPFSA), verify in HRS that the employee is enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) and a Heath Savings Account (HSA) plan first. If the employee is not enrolled in both plans, they are not eligible for the LPFSA unless their spouse is enrolled in HDHP/HSA. Please have the employee provide proof of other HDHP insurance in order to enroll in LPFSA Account. The Benefit Administrators should also check with the employee to see if they meant to enroll in the Medical FSA plan instead.
- If an employee is trying to make a change to an existing election due to a Qualifying Life Event, please visit BN - UW FSA/LPFSA Qualifying Event Process for that process.
Overrides on FSA/LPFSA:
- Employee contributions will be deducted in equal amounts from each paycheck, pre-tax, throughout the Plan Year. Employees must follow the 26, 12, 9-pay schedules
UWSC Benefits Team will be querying for overrides that are placed on employee Spending Accounts and will remove any that are not allowed
- If employee is 9-month employee and enrolled via Self Service, the contribution per pay period will reflect 12 months. The UW Service Center Benefits Team will audit for the 9-month employee Self Service
enrollments and will enter in the override manually. Only 9-pay employees will have overrides on their accounts
- Employees may not have overrides placed on their FSA accounts UNLESS it is their final paycheck prior to retirement/termination
1. Employee submits a paper enrollment application or applies using Self Service within 30 days of hire.
2. If paper application, Benefits Office reviews enrollment form and enters into HRS (Reference: BN - Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance ). See below for enrollment application tips.
3. If paper application is received, file it in employee's benefits file.
4. Service Center sends a weekly enroll file to TASC on Wednesdays.
5. TASC creates an account for employee.
COMPLETING AND VERIFYING THE APPLICATION:
1. Enter the following information:
- Employer Name = Univ of WI - System
- Employee ID = Employee's HRS Employee ID
- Participant Plan Effective Date = Coverage is effective the first of the month following date of hire. When you enter this in HRS, use this date for the FSA or ADM Event date. BN - Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table
- Date of First Payroll: Pay date of when first deduction is taken. Normally, this will be the payroll that includes the coverage effective date.
- Example: For a bi-weekly employee with coverage effective 6/1/17, the date of first payroll would be 5/14/17 (5B Pay Date).
2. Verify the information in the Employee Information Section:
- Employee Name
- Date of Birth
- Home Phone Number
- Home Address
- Mobile Phone Number
NOTE: Regardless of what the employee writes on the form for their contact information, it is their current contact information in HRS that will be transmitted to TASC. For address, it will be what is listed as the "Home" address and for phone and email it will be the ones selected as "preferred." Emails from TASC will go to the preferred HRS email, not what the employee writes on the form.
- If the employee would like to update their TASC profile, they may do so when their information has been transmitted to TASC and an account has been created.
3. Verify the employee election amounts:
- Employee Annual Salary Reduction Election: Make sure that this is an ANNUAL amount, not a per pay period amount.
- Note: In HRS, the annual election will be divided by the number of remaining pay periods in the calendar year to determine a pay period deduction. For 9-month employees, be sure to override and divide the annual election over the remaining pay periods in the calendar year. This assumes they are returning in the fall. (Note: FSA deductions are not taken in the summer months.)
- Number of Payroll Deductions: Indicate the number of remaining payrolls here (reference remaining pay periods chart in related job aids section of this document. Remember, employees cannot have deductions taken prior to their coverage effective date.)
4. Verify that the employee has signed and dated the application.
- BN - Self Service Benefits Enrollment for New Hires (eBenefits)
- BN - Self Service for New Hires - FAQ
- BN - UW FSA/LPFSA Qualifying Event Process
- BN - Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance
- BN - Self Service Confirmation Statements