Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Benefits (BN)
BN - WED - ABBR Unrounded Report
Income Continuation Insurance (ICI) and State Group Life Insurance (SGL) requires an Annual Benefit Base Rate (ABBR) for the payroll process to accurately calculate the insurance premiums to charge each payroll. The unrounded ABBR may cause insurance premiums to calculate incorrectly according to the rules for ICI and SGL. Benefit Administrators need to review the employee's job and compensation data and update or correct an ABBR accordingly. This KB document provides the steps required to add an Annual Benefit Base Rate for Income Continuation Insurance and State Group Life based on the WED - ABBR Unrounded Report.
- The ABBR Unrounded Report will return a list of all employees who have an ABBR that is not rounded UP to the nearest $1,000 for either State Group Life or Income Continuation Insurance. The ABBRs should be entered or fixed prior to the first
payroll in which Income Continuation Insurance and/or State Group Life
Insurance premiums will be charged. The ABBR effective date cannot be
earlier than the hire date on each Employee Record. If an error exists on an historical row, correct history will be required
to fix the error.
- An ICI and SGL ABBR must be added to EVERY active Employee Rcd (Empl_Rcd) to ensure that the ICI and SGL premiums will calculate correctly regardless of which Empl_Rcd is marked as the Benefits Primary Record. More information on Benefits Primary Records is available in the Related KB Documents and Job Aids section below.
- HRS will NOT recognize a change in ABBR as an event requiring benefits retro to calculate. In the event an ABBR has been changed after a payroll has run, a payline adjustment will be required to pick up the missing premium. If you do not have the security to add a payline adjustment, please open a WiscIT and assign it to your AG Group. Please note: clicking the WiscIT button will not automatically create a ticket for you in Cherwell.
ANNUAL BENEFIT BASE RATE AMOUNTS:
- First Year: Must be based on an estimated annual salary during
the first year an employee is eligible for the WRS. If a paper
application is used, the ABBR listed on the application must match
what's entered in HRS.
- Existing Employees: The Annual ICI ABBR Process will
update the ABBR each year based on the prior WRS year's earnings.
The SGL ABBR Process will update the employee's amount based on the
previous year's WRS earnings or the highest year of reported WRS
earnings, whichever is higher.
- Mid-Year: State Group Life Insurance rates do not change mid-year regardless of changes to FTE or salary (with exception for employees turning age 70 - see BN - WED - UW_BN_AGE_70 ). Income Continuation Insurance ABBR's MUST be changed mid-year due to permanent changes in FTE. For more information about ICI mid-year changes, please visit the Income Continuation Insurance: Annual Base Benefit Rate Rules.
- Transfers: The amounts to enter for the ABBR's for both State Group Life and Income Continuation Insurance must be based on the Transfer Record received by the receiving department/institution if within the UW. If hiring an employee from another state agency, the amount is estimated based on the position at the UW for the first year.
1. Log into HRS. The Workflow Exception Dashboard queries will appear based on your current security and whether there is an error to fix.
2. Click on the hyperlink for the UW_BN_ICI_ABBR_UNROUNDED query.
3. A current list of employees whose ICI, SGL, or SGL7 ABBR values are not rounded will be displayed. This list will be refreshed each evening. (Note: Empl_ID's that appear as hyperlinks in the list have more than one error. This may occur if the employee has a ABBR Mismatch error.)
4. Click the Check to Claim checkbox next to the employee you wish to work on. Your name will appear in the Claimed By section with the date and time noted.
5. Click the BN_ANNL_BENEF_BASE hyperlink for the employee you have claimed.
6. The employee's Update ABBR page will be displayed. Click on the magnifying glass icon to select the ABBR type of ICI or SGL and identify which ABBR and Effective Date has a value that has not been rounded up to the next thousand. (Note: You will need to click on the Correct History button to correct an existing ABBR.) In our example, the employee has a SGL ABBR effective 8/12/2011 that is not rounded up to the next highest thousand.
7. Enter the correct ABBR amount using an Effective Date equal to or prior to the Deduction Begin Date for their Income Continuation and/or State Group Life enrollment or use Correct History to fix an historic row. Do not use commas or decimal points when entering an ABBR. The system will add the decimal point upon saving the record. Below is an example of how to enter an ABBR row. When all information has been added, click the Save button to save the record.
8. To verify that you now have an appropriately dated ICI or SGL ABBR entered into the system, navigate to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Review ABBR's.
9. Once you have completed the entry and verified the accuracy, return to the WED Dashboard and click the Completed By checkbox. Your name will appear in the Completed By section with the date and time noted. The employee will fall off the WED query the following business day.
- TE - WED - Workflow Exception Dashboard
- BN - Annual Benefits Base Rate (ABBR)
- BN - WED - Income Continuation Insurance Missing/Incorrect ABBR Report
- BN - WED - State Group Life Missing/Incorrect ABBR Report
- BN - WED - ABBR Mismatch Report
- OHRWD Website: Disability and Income Replacement Insurance
- Income Continuation Insurance: Annual Base Benefit Rate Rules
- OHRWD Website: State Group Life Insurance
Warning! The Annual Benefit Base Rate is based on the estimated annual earnings for the year in which an employee is initially enrolling for coverage. Annual SGL and ICI ABBR Update processes will determine the appropriate ABBR on an annual basis thereafter. Benefit Administrators should not change an ABBR unless it was entered incorrectly, or in the case of ICI, when a permanent FTE change has occurred. Salary changes do not warrant a change in an ICI ABBR. SGL ABBRs are not changed mid-year due to either salary or permanent FTE changes.