Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Benefits (BN)
BN - WED - State Group Life Missing/Incorrect ABBR Report
State Group Life Insurance requires an Annual Benefit Base Rate (ABBR) for the payroll process to accurately calculate the insurance premiums to charge each payroll. This report will return a list of employees with an ABBR of less than $1,000 OR those missing an ABBR for State Group Life Insurance. Benefit Administrators need to review the employee's job and compensation data and update or add an ABBR accordingly.
- UW ABBR Update Process (UW_BN_ABBRUP) runs nightly Sunday through Thursday.
- The process updates SGL/ICI ABBRs for the following scenarios:
- Employees who are newly hired into a WRS position or rehired into a WRS position (with more than 30 day break)
- If an employee has another appointment added, which makes them eligible for WRS for the first time
- If an employee is hired today with two different appointments, which makes them eligible for WRS for the first time, the process updates both empl_rcds
- The process does NOT update SGL/ICI ABBRs for the following scenarios:
- When a new Empl_rcd is added, if the employee is already enrolled in the WRS
- If an employee changes WRS category (i.e. General to Teacher)
- If the employee has a permanent FTE change
- When an employee turns age 70 and an SGL70 ABBR must be added
- For any Summer Service (V), Summer Session (S), or NON (N) Paygroups
- Please see ICI – ABBR Rules for more information on mid-year changes in ABBR amounts.
- The ABBR should be entered or fixed prior to the first payroll in which State Group Life Insurance premiums will be charged. The ABBR effective date cannot be earlier than the hire date on each Employee Record.
- If you are missing an ABBR for a date other than the initial date of State Group Life eligibility (i.e. an historical row), you will need to use Correct History to add the effective dated row.
- HRS will NOT recognize a change in ABBR as an Event requiring Benefits Retro to calculate. In the event an ABBR has been changed after a payroll has run, a Payline Adjustment will be required to pick up the missing premium. Please contact your AG Group for assistance with paylines. Please note: clicking the WiscIT button will not automatically create a ticket for you in Cherwell.
ANNUAL BENEFIT BASE RATE (ABBR) AMOUNTS:
- First Year: Based on an estimated annual salary during the first year the employee is eligible for the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS).
- Existing Employees: The Annual SGL Process will update the ABBR each year based on the prior WRS year's earnings or the highest year of reported WRS earnings, whichever is higher. Employees who are aged 70 will have an SGL7 ABBR based on 50% of their highest year of reported WRS earnings.
- Mid-year: State Group Life ABBR's are NOT changed mid-year due to changes in FTE or annual salary.
- Transfers: The State Group Life ABBR must be based on the Transfer Record received from the transferring department/institution.
1. Log into HRS. The Workflow Exception Dashboard queries will appear based on your current security and whether there is an error to fix.
2. Click on the hyperlink for the UW_BN_SGL_ABBR query.
3. A current list of employees who are missing an SGL ABBR or who have an ABBR of less than $1,000 will be displayed. This list will be refreshed each evening. (Note: Empl_ID's that appear as hyperlinks in the list have more than one error. This often occurs if the employee has a missing or incorrect ICI ABBR as well as the SGL error.)
4. Click the Check to Claim checkbox next to the employee you wish to work on. Your name will appear in the Claimed By section with the date and time noted.
5. Click the BN_ANNL_BENEF_BASE hyperlink for the employee you have claimed.
6. The employee's Update ABBR page will be displayed. Click on the magnifying glass icon to select the ABBR type of SGL or SGL7 depending on whether your employee is under or over age 70.
7. To ensure that the correct ABBR is entered, you will need to navigate to the employee's JOB Data pages to obtain the date they became eligible for SGL and their annual salary. Click the "New Window" hyperlink in the top right corner of your screen to open a second window to obtain this data.
8. Navigate to Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data and enter the employee's Empl_ID and click Search.
9. On the Work Location Tab verify the employee's SGL eligibility date. In our example, the employee became eligible for WRS as of the Date of Hire.
10. Click on the Compensation tab to obtain the employee's estimated annual salary. The salary amount needs to be rounded up to the next highest $1000. (i.e. For an annual salary of $35,360, the ABBR amount is $36,000. For an example of multiple jobs, Empl Rcd 0 salary of $14,300 and a Empl Rcd 1 salary of $14,500 are added together and then rounded up to the nearest thousand to become $29,000.)
11. To add the employee's ABBR, click back on your Update ABBR window, or navigate to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Update ABBRs.
13. To verify that you now have the correct SGL ABBR entered into the system, navigate back to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Review ABBRs. Enter the employee's ID number in the Empl_ID field and click Search. You should see the ABBR listed with the correct Base Rate Type, Effective Date, and Amount.
14. Navigate back to the WED and click the Completed checkbox next to the employee's record you have fixed. Your name will appear in the Completed By section with the date and time noted. The employee's record will fall off the WED the next business day.
15. Employees must be set up with both an SGL and an ICI ABBR. Be sure to add both ABBR types for each active Employee Record.
- TE - WED - Workflow Exception Dashboard
- BN - Annual Benefits Base Rate (ABBR)
- BN - WED - Income Continuation Insurance Missing Enrollment Report