PY - Earnings Code Descriptions
This document lists the Earnings Codes for University Staff (Classified) employees, Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited (FA/AS/LI) employees, and Student Hourly employees. Earnings Codes are three-character codes that specify various types of earnings. This document provides a brief description of each code as well as whether the code is used through Time & Labor/Absence Management, entered into Additional Pay, or used by the UW Service Center only. If you require further explanation, please contact the UW Service Center.
- Earnings Codes are divided based on Employee Type
Frequently Asked Questions About Additional Pay Earnings Code Usage:
- How are overload payments handled?
How are honorarium payments handled with respect to earnings codes?
- Earnings code UOL is used for overload payments for Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited employees who have an overall FTE greater than 1.
What does No IC, Sch/Fel, Tea/Res, Stu/Trn in the earnings codes description mean?
- Earnings code LWR is used for honorarium/lump sum payments for Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited employees who have an overall FTE less than 1.
- This earnings code would be applied to an employee like a guest speaker on campus or an ad-hoc program specialist.
- No IC = No Income Code. Earnings paid under these earnings code are reported on a W-2.
- Sch/Fel = Scholar/Fellow. Payments made under these earnings codes are to foreign nationals on Income Code 16 whose payments are reported on a fellowship letter.
- Tea/Res = Teacher/Researcher. Payments made under these earnings codes are to foreign nationals on Income Code 19 whose payments are reported on a 1042-S.
- Stu/Trn = Study/Training. Payments made under these earnings codes are to foreign national employees on Income Code 20 whose payments are reported on a 1042-S.
Earnings Code Listings by Employee Type:
University Staff Employee Earnings Codes:
Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited (FA/AS/LI) Employee Earnings Codes:
Student Hourly Earnings Codes: