Topics Map > PD LEARNING PATH > HR Learning Path
Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Human Resources (HR)
HR - Hire Employee into a Job without a Position (Non-Madison)
This document is used for hiring employees into Jobs that do not require a Position. Empl Classes CL, OT1-6, and SH do not require the use of positions, but a campus may choose to use positions for these.
- Before Hiring a Person into a Job, you should Search for the Person in HRS by following HR - Search for Existing Person in HRS.
- If the Person does not already exist, follow the steps in HR - Add a Person to Add the Person record.
- If this job is a position of trust you will need to add that after you save; see HR - Criminal Background Check - Position of Trust (includes report).
- If hiring using a position, see HR - Hire Using a Position.
- Navigate to: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Organizational Relationships > New Employment Instance
- Enter Empl ID
- Click Add Relationship
Job Data: Work Location Tab
- Enter the start date of the job in the Effective Date field.
- Click the Calculate Status and Dates button.
- The Action defaults to Hire, which is correct.
- Enter the Reason for the Hire (example: Original/New Hire)
- The Job Indicator will default to "Secondary Job." If the employee has multiple jobs, please review which Job should be marked as HR Primary; see HR - Updating HR Primary Indicator.
- The Regulatory region will default to USA
- Enter "UWS" in the Company field
- Enter the appropriate value in Business Unit (institution)
- Enter the appropriate value in Department
- Enter the appropriate value in Location
- Establishment ID will then default to match the Business Unit.
- Enter the Expected Job End Date, if applicable (Jobs with Continuity Codes of 02A, 02B, 02C, 05A and 05B require an Expected Job End Date).
Job Data: Job Information Tab
- Job Code: Enter the appropriate Job Code, if known. If unknown, click on the data lookup icon and search for the job Code and click on the appropriate value in the list.
- Reports to: Enter the Position number for the Supervisor.
- Empl Class: Matches the selected Job Code. If the Empl Class field is blank, click on the drop-down arrow, and select the appropriate Empl Class code. For a list of Empl Class definitions, see HR - Empl Class Overview.
- UWC / UWEX Program Area: If applicable, select the appropriate value; see HR - UWC / UWEX Program Area - Job Aid.
- Seasonal?: Indicate if the employee is Seasonal; see HR - Maintain Workforce - Seasonal Employees.
- Full/Part Time: 1.0 FTE is Full-Time and < 1.0 FTE is Part-Time
- Officer Code: Verify that the Officer Code has defaulted the correct value based on Job Code; see HR - Officer Code Listing - Job Aid.
- Pay Basis: Click on the drop-down arrow and select the appropriate Pay Basis. For a list of Pay Basis definitions, see PY - Pay Basis Descriptions.
- Standard Hours: Enter the number of hours the employee will work under the Standard Hours field. All Jobs in HRS are required to have a Standard Hours value of at least 0.01. Standard Hours of 0.01 is used for Students and LTEs and for Lump Sum pay basis appointments.
- Verify that the FTE has calculated correctly based on Standard Hours. All Jobs in HRS are required to have an FTE of at least 0.00025. FTE of 0.00025 are used for Students and LTEs and for Lump Sum pay basis appointments.
- Contract number: Optional - enter the contract number for this job. For more information on Contract Administration, see HR - Contract Administration HRS.
a. All fields default if applicable. Verify that all values have defaulted correctly based on the Job Code entered.Job Data: Payroll Tab
a. All fields default if applicable. Verify that values for Pay Group and Holiday Schedule have defaulted correctly based on Work Location and Job Information entered; see PY - Pay Group Descriptions and HR - Summary of Campus Codes used in Location / Appointing Department / Academic or Summer Pay Groups.Job Data: Salary Plan Tab
a. All fields default if applicable. Verify that all values have defaulted in based on Job Code selected.
Job Data: Compensation Tab
- Click the Default Pay Components button. This will default the Rate Code and the bottom Frequency, when the employee is initially hired. For monthly employees, this also calculates the top compensation rate correctly based on FTE.
- Verify the correct Rate Code populated based upon the employee's Pay Basis; see HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview.
- Enter the Comp Rate. (Hourly rates must have no more than two digits past the decimal.)
- Verify that the bottom Frequency populated correctly; see HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview.
- Verify or edit the top Frequency. The top Frequency will populate correctly to 'H' for employees with a Rate Code of NAHRLY, however the top Frequency for all employees with a Rate Code of NAANNL will default to 'A' and needs to be changed to either 9M or M based upon the employee's Pay Basis; see HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview.
- Click the Calculate Compensation button.
- Verify the Compensation Rate (in the top Compensation section) is correct.
Job Data: UW Custom Tab
- Continuity: The Continuity Code is set based on the duration of the job as specified in the employee's contract. Click on the drop-down arrow and select the appropriate Continuity Code. For a list of Continuity Code definitions, see HR - Continuity Status Overview.
- Probation Type and Probation End Date: choose the correct probation type and fill in the probation end date. If there is no probation for the employee, you must choose "Not Required" as the value.
- Under the Min: if the employee is an LTE and is being hired under the minimum for the salary range, check the Under Min box.
- Working Title: Official title will populate based on Job Code; however, a working title should be entered if applicable. The Working Title is often used for student positions to help them choose the correct job when completing their timesheet.
Job Data: UW Benefits Tab
- Leave the Previous WRS State Service and Previous WRS Local Service fields blank.
- If known, select the value for the WRS Before July 1, 2011 field. If unknown, leave as the default value of No.
- Enter the correct value for the Rehired Annuitant Field if known. If unknown, leave as the default value of No.
- Leave the Visiting from Other Institution field blank.
- If the employee is required to work out of state for their job, select Yes from the drop-down for the Work Out of State Required field.
- If the employee is expected to work less than 20 hours per week, select Less than Half Time Rate in the Health Rate field.
- Click on the Employment Data hyperlink to enter the criminal background check date and to ensure that all dates under this page are accurate.
- After entering all data, click the SAVE or OK button; this will save the employee's Job Record.
- HR - Add a Person
- HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
- HR - Continuity Status Overview
- HR - Contract Administration HRS
- HR - Criminal Background Check - Position of Trust (includes report)
- HR - Empl Class Overview
- HR - Hire Using a Position
- HR - HR Report List
- HR - Maintain Workforce - Seasonal Employees
- HR - Officer Code Listing - Job Aid
- HR - Search for Existing Person in HRS
- HR - Summary of Campus Codes used in Location / Appointing Department / Academic or Summer Pay Groups
- HR - Updating HR Primary Indicator
- HR - UWC / UWEX Program Area - Job Aid
- PY - Pay Basis Descriptions
- PY - Pay Group Descriptions