HR - Hire Using a Position
This guide will walk you through the steps of hiring a person using a position.
If you have just added the person information and selected Employee and Add Relationship on the Organizational Relationships tab, skip to step 4.
Click the Job Labor tab. The values will populate based on the position or values entered on the Work Location and Job Information tabs.
Click the Payroll tab. The data will populated based on the position data.
Click the Salary Plan tab. The values will populate based on the position or values entered on the Work Location and Job Information tabs.
Click the Compensation tab.
Click the Default Pay Components button. This will default the Rate Code and the bottom Frequency.
- Navigate to Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Organizational Relationships > New Employment Instance
- Enter the employee's Empl ID.
- Click Add Relationship.
- Enter the employee's start date in the Effective Date field.
- Click the Calculate Status and Dates button.
- Verify the Action is Hire.
- From the Reason list, select the appropriate reason for the Hire (example: Original/New Hire).
- Enter the Position number and tab out of the field. Verify that Company, Business Unit, Department, Location and Establishment ID auto-populated correctly based on the Position Number.
- Enter the Expected Job End Date if required. This field is required for Continuity of 02 or 05; see HR - Continuity Status Overview
- Click on the Job Information tab.
- Verify that Job Code, Reports To, Empl Class, Full/Part, Pay Basis and Standard Hours/FTE were auto-populated correctly.
Other fields on this tab that may be used are:
Note: For employees paid on a monthly basis, also click the Conversion tab to ensure Apply FTE is checked (not shown).
Verify the Rate Code; see HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
Enter the Comp Rate. If this is a lump sum job, leave this field blank.
Verify the bottom Frequency; see HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
Verify the top Frequency is H, M, or 9M; see HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview
Click the Calculate Compensation button.
Verify the Compensation Rate (in the top Compensation section) is correct.
Click the UW Custom tab.
Verify Continuity has populated correctly based on Position; see HR - Continuity Status Overview
If a probation is required, select the Probation Type. If no probation is required, you must choose Not Required; see HR - Probationary Employees
Enter the Probation End Date, if applicable.
If the salary is not within the range, click the appropriate rate exception checkbox.
Note: The Encumbrances Section will automatically fill after save.
Click the UW Benefits tab.
Leave the Previous WRS State Service and Previous WRS Local Service fields blank.
If known, select the value for the WRS Before July 1, 2011 field. If unknown, leave as the default value of No.
Enter the correct value for the Rehired Annuitant Field if known. If unknown, leave as the default value of No.
Leave the Visiting from Other Institution field blank.
If the employee is required to work out of state for their job, select Yes from the drop-down for the Work Out of State Required field.
If the employee is expected to work less than 20 hours per week, select Less than Half Time Rate in the Health Rate field.
Click on the Employment Data Link at the bottom of this page.
If applicable, enter the Criminal Background Check date.
If this is a Faculty hire that is eligible for tenure:
- Click the flag icon.
- Click the Accrue Tenure Services checkbox; see HR - Tenure Tracking