Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Human Resources (HR)
HR - Add or Maintain a Person of Interest (POI)
A Person of Interest (POI) record is added to HRS for individuals who have an affiliation with a UW institution but are not considered employees, are not paid, and do not need reimbursement of expenses by the institution. These may include consultants, emeritus faculty, Non-UW Time Approvers for Time and Labor (T&L), Non-UW Interviewers, or other individuals requiring an affiliation with a UW institution other than employer-employee. This document explains how to add a person to HRS and assign a Person of Interest (POI) relationship, how to inactivate a POI relationship, as well as how to add additional POI relationship types to an existing person in HRS.
- Persons of Interest will be assigned Empl IDs. Empl IDs serve as the unique identifier for all employees and POIs in HRS.
Add a Person of Interest to HRS
Search for Existing Person in HRS
Before creating any new person in HRS, you must search HRS to ensure the person is unique/new to the system. Follow all steps in HR - Search for Existing Person in HRS.
Add a Person page
NOTE: If an Empl ID was found when searching for matching persons with existing HRS data, do not use this page. Instead, follow the steps below, Add a POI Relationship to an Existing Person in HRS.
If an existing Empl ID was found only in Legacy/EPM, or if no existing Empl ID was found at all, continue with the next steps.
- Navigate to Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Add a Person
- If an Empl ID was NOT found in HRS, leave the Person ID as NEW.
If an Empl ID was found in Legacy Person Search, change “NEW” to the Empl ID found in Legacy Person Search. HRS will then assign that same number as the Empl ID in HRS.
- Click Add Person.
“NEW” defaults in the Person ID field.
Biographical Details tab
It is likely that minimal information related to the person will be available and/or required. Most fields are not to be completed. However, the following fields are required for Person Hub:
- In the Name section, Effective Date is the current date. Click Add Name.
- Enter the applicable information for First Name, Middle Name and Last Name
- If the person has only one name, enter that name into Last Name and enter "FNU" into First Name. "FNU" is commonly accepted to stand for First Name Unknown.
Contact Information tab
- Enter any available information, such as the Email Address
- Do not enter information into any fields.
UW Personal tab
- Do not enter information into any fields.
Organizational Relationships tab
- Check the Person of Interest box.
- Select the POI type from the new drop-down field that appears. (For TAM/Recruiting related functions, select Non-UW Interviewer for the Person of Interest Type.)
- Click Add Relationship.
Read and correct (if appropriate) any error messages that appear. It may be appropriate to ignore some error messages (e.g., missing SSN).
Add a POI Relationship page
To identify the POI's affiliation, it is important to select Department from the Security Access Type drop down list.
Enter SHARE for Value 1.
Enter a valid active organizational department (UDDS) for this POI affiliation in the Value 2 field.
- Click Save.
Inactivate a Person of Interest
Navigate to: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Organizational Relationships > Maintain POI Relationship.
Enter Empl ID or POI Name.
Click the plus button in the Person of Interest History (lower) section.
Enter Effective Date the POI will become Inactive.
Enter an 'I' in the Status field. 'I' = inactive; 'A' = active.
- Navigate to Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Organizational Relationships > Add a POI Relationship.
- Enter (or use the magnifying glass to search) for the POI's Empl ID.
- Enter (or use the magnifying glass to select) the Person of Interest Type for this POI. (For TAM/Recruiting related functions, select Non-UW Interviewer for the Person of Interest Type.
- The Effective Date will default to today's date. Leave this date alone; this is considered the entry date, not the actual effective date of the POI Relationship.
- Click the drop-down arrow for Security Access Type and select DEPARTMENT.
- Enter SHARE in the Value 1 field.
- Enter a valid, active department for this POI affiliation in the Value 2 field.
- Change the Person of Interest History Effective Date if needed and click Save when finished.
- HR - Add a Person of Interest (POI) Relationship
- HR - HR Report List
- HR - Person Hub
- HR - Search for Existing Person in HRS
- TL - Create and Maintain Time and Labor Security