Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Human Resources (HR)
HR - Search for Existing Person in HRS
In order to maintain a complete history of a person's association with any UW institution, no person can have multiple Empl IDs in HRS. This procedure is necessary to determine if a person has already has an assigned person record number or employee identification number (Empl ID) through other associations with the University of Wisconsin.
- HR Administrators are required to check both HRS and Legacy data sources prior to entering any new person as an applicant, employee, or person of interest (POI).
- All employees who terminated within five years prior to the HRS implementation date of April 7, 2011, have Empl IDs in HRS but exist only as Persons of Interest (POIs). They have no Job Data, unless they have since been rehired.
A. Search for Matching Persons with Existing HRS Data
- HRS Navigation: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Add a Person.
- Click the link for Search for Matching Persons.
- The Search Criteria page displays. If the Search Result Code field is blank, click the Magnifying Glass and select General Core HR Results (PSHR_General). Note: Click User Default to set this as the default value for all subsequent searches.
- In the Search Criteria fields, enter the person's Social Security Number without dashes in the National ID field. Unlike names that can change over time, this criteria will return the most reliable results. If you do not have the Social Security Number, enter the information that you do have. When entering data here, be sure to TAB out of the entered fields.
- Click the corresponding Selective Search button if there is an order you would like the search to follow. Then click the Search button.
- The search results may return several potential matches. Look at the names and Personal Data on Results, Results2 and Additional Information tabs. You may click the Show all columns icon to show results from all tabs at the same time. You can click on the headers of each column to sort the results by that column. (For example: Click the Last Name to sort all potential matches by Last Name.)
- If a match is found, click the Person Organizational Summary link. If all tabs are not shown, the link is found on the Additional Information tab. The Organizational Summary will detail records for the matched person by summarizing them under 'Employment Instances' for an employee or 'Person of Interest Instance' if the result returned a POI.
- Do NOT enter this as a new person.
- Verify that the Person Data is up to date. See HR - Modify Person Data for more information. The Empl ID will carry forward from the Person Organizational Summary.
- Review UW Multiple Jobs Summary. See HR - View UW Multiple Jobs Summary for an Employee.
- Continue with the hire:
- If no match is found you must also search for the person using the Legacy Person Search tool. Continue with the steps below.
B. Search for Prior Employment in Legacy System (EPM Data Warehouse)
- HRS Navigation: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Legacy Person Search
- In the Search Criteria fields enter
- Date of Birth
- National ID (Social Security Number) - no hyphens
- Click the Search button.
- Person Information and most recent job information for each Empl Rcd will appear on the page.
- If Person Information is not found, proceed with HR - Search for Existing Person in HRS .
- If Person and Job information appears, continue with HR - Modify Person Data , HR - Rehiring an Employee , HR - Add Employment Instance (Non-Madison) or HR - Maintain Workforce - Transfers as appropriate.
- If Person information appears with no Job Information, make a note of the Empl ID, and continue with HR - Add a Person using this Empl ID.
- HR - Modify Person Data
- HR - View UW Multiple Jobs Summary for an Employee
- HR - Rehiring an Employee
- HR - Add Employment Instance (Non-Madison)
- HR - Maintain Workforce - Transfers
- HR - Hire Employee into a Job without a Position (Non-Madison)
To the top