Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > Reference
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Benefits (BN)
BN - National Medical Support Notice & Badgercare
"National Medical Support Notice (NMSN) is a federal requirement that occurs when a court orders the parent in question to provide coverage for their minor child(ren)" (Wisconsin BadgerCare Plus). Coverage for new dependent(s) will be effective the first of the month on or after receipt of the health application if not specified on the NMSN. A benefit eligible employee is required to enroll in SGH coverage within 30 days of court order support notice.
Badgercare is a Children's Health Insurance Program, which provides coverage to children and families with incomes too high to qualify for Medicaid, but can't afford employer coverage. Coverage for dependents and families are effective as dated on the Badgercare form. Coverage remains in place until Badgercare notifies employee of change in benefits.
- The UW - Shared Services Benefits Team is considered the Employer and the Benefit Administrator for these processes.
- The UW - Shared Services will involve the campus if applications are needed.
- The UW is required to follow the NMSN until we receive modified court orders. The employee is not legally allowed to remove the children.
- Both National Medical Support Notice and Badgercare processes are handled internally by the UWSS Benefits team .
- The only time an institution needs to be involved is if an application needs to be collected from the employee.
- Benefit Administrators will receive a ticket from UW - Shared Services Benefits Team for this request.
- If you receive requests/documentation for this please forward to the UW - Shared Services Benefits team for centralized processing.