Topics Map > DOCUMENT TYPE > User Procedure
Topics Map > FUNCTIONAL AREA > Benefits (BN)
BN - Adding or Removing a Dependent from Coverage using On-Demand
Events will occur throughout an employee's career that will make the employee and his or her dependents eligible or ineligible for certain benefits. Updates for an employee may include adding or removing a dependent due to a life event such as birth, adoption, marriage or divorce or changes to a dependent's personal information such as disabled status. Updates may also occur when the employee has a job event such as being hired or having an open enrollment opportunity. Changes to dependent information that affect benefit eligibility for that dependent will be processed by the Benefits Staff through HRS by processing an ADM event through Benefits Administration.
- Benefit Administrators at each campus will need to enroll or cancel coverage for dependents by creating an Administrative (ADM) event on the BAS Activity Table and then processing that event using the On Demand Event Maintenance feature. The steps for enrolling employees and their dependents into benefit plans or removing dependents from plans are the same no matter what the event may be (i.e. ADM, Hire Event, or Open Enrollment).
- ADM Events are manual Events that Benefit Administrators add to the BAS Activity Table with a date equal to the date coverage should begin. In HRS, this date is referred to as the Coverage Begin Date.
- Enrollments and/or changes should be entered prior to when the first payroll deduction should take place for the change in coverage.
- New dependent information (for marriages, new domestic partnerships etc) must be entered prior to processing an ADM event to ensure all dependents are available for enrollment. See KB BN - Add/Update Dependents for more information.
STEPS TO ADD OR REMOVE DEPENDENTS FROM COVERAGE:
2. Navigate to: Benefits > Manage Automated Enrollment > Events > On-Demand Event Maintenance and enter the employee's Empl_ID number.
- The event ready to be Scheduled and Prepared will be at the top of the page. Remember that the dependent must exist in the system prior to actually Scheduling and Preparing the Event or the appropriate Option Code will not be available to you for entry.
3. Prepare the Event for processing by clicking on the Schedule/Prepare button. This will open the Event up for entry.
4. Click the Election Entry button to open the Event and add the following information:
- Enrollment Code and Reason ([Link for document 17490 is unavailable at this time.] )
- Application Received By Date
5. Click the Apply Enrollment Defaults button to carry that value to each Benefit Plan throughout the Event.
6. Change the Option Code to the appropriate Family Code and click the Enroll All button.
- The dependent names will pull in based on the Option Code chosen.
7. After all appropriate changes have been made, scroll to the bottom of the Event and click OK. You will be returned to the On Demand screen.
- Click the Validate/Finalize button.
- You will receive a pop up box indicating that the process completed successfully.
- Click the OK button.
8. To verify the enrollments, refer to BN - Review Benefit Enrollments.