Topics Map > Certificates > Applied BioInformatics
Topics Map > Master's Degrees > Applied Biotechnology
Accessing the VPN for ABT 785
This document will walk you through setting up your access to the VPN in the Virtual Lab for ABT 785.
- First, be sure you have already followed the instructions to set up your NetID if you do not already have one.
- Once you have set up your NetID, you will need to send an email to the UW Madison Center for High Throughput Computing (CHTC) to request access to the relevant submit server. Be sure to copy your instructor on the email.
- Submit Server: submit1.chtc.wisc.edu
- Your Preferred Full Name:
- Your NetID:
- Your Preferred Email Address:
- Course Name and Number: ABT 785 - Applications of BioInformatics
- You should receive an email back from the CHTC indicating that you are able to access the server.
- Once you receive this e-mail, you can log into the Virtual Lab and access the VPN. To do so, click on the start menu, then click "Palo Alto Networks," then "Global Protect."
- A small window will appear in the right bottom corner of your Virtual Lab screen. Enter the server name: uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu.
- Next, you will be prompted to enter your UW Madison NetID and password, then click "Sign In."
- You will be prompted to enter a passcode from Duo. If you have not signed up for Duo yet, you will need to do this by following the instructions on the UW Madison Knowledge Base article. PLEASE NOTE: You must enter a passcode. You will not be able to use the "push" feature.
- Once you have entered the passcode and clicked "Sign In," you will see a message indicating that you are now on the UW Madison VPN.
- To disconnect from the VPN, simply click the arrow in the bottom right corner of the Virtual Lab desktop and click the Global Protect icon.
- Click Disconnect.