Advanced Content Authoring and Reporting - Importing a Pressbooks Thin Common Cartridge file into your Canvas course
This document describes how an instructor can import a Pressbooks Common Cartridge file into a Canvas course.
After you’ve downloaded your interactive Pressbook as a .zip file (as described in Advanced Content Authoring and Reporting - How to export a Pressbook as a Thin Common Cartridge for use in Canvas , you need to import it to your Canvas course:
- Log in to Canvas.
- Navigate to the Canvas course you’d like to add your Pressbooks content to.
- Click on Settings from the course navigation.
- Click on Import Course Content:
- Select Common Cartridge 1.x package from the content type drop-down menu:
- Next to Source, click the Choose File button:
- Select the .zip file you downloaded from Pressbooks as outlined in the previous KB article Advanced Content Authoring and Reporting - How to export a Pressbook as a Thin Common Cartridge for use in Canvas .
- Select either the All content to import everything or Select specific content to choose which parts of your Pressbook to import.
- If you chose All content, click the Import button:
Your material will import into Canvas. If your book has a lot of material, it could take a few minutes. You can see the progress under Current Jobs.
- If you chose Select specific content, click the Import button:
Under Current Jobs you will see your Pressbooks material import. Once completed, you will see a Select Content button. Click it:
A Select Content window will open, which shows what parts of your Pressbook are available to import. Click the checkbox for the pieces you want to import and click Select Content:
The Common Cartridge listed under Current Jobs progress bar will complete. The Select Content button will turn to a green completed notification
If you would like to push grades from the interactive (H5P) activities within your Pressbook, you will want to review Advanced Content Authoring and Reporting - Manually pushing a grade from Pressbooks to the Canvas gradebook and setting up auto-sync .