L&S Lump Sum Payments to UW Students Guide

The L&S process for making non-service lump sum payments to UW students

L&S Guide to Non-Service Lump Sum Payments to UW Students
 December, 2020
The focus of this document is on the L&S process for making non-service lump sum payments to UW students. For service-related payments to students, please contact the appropriate HR representative assigned to your department (information about service-related payments are not included in this document).
Regardless of which mechanism is used for non-service lump sum payments to students, the L&S Business Office staff assigned to your unit will normally be your first point of contact. Mehdi Rezai and his team will coordinate with Cheryl Adams Kadera and Joe Farrenkopf for any payments to be routed through the payroll system.
Here is a link to the Division of Business Services guide for making payments to students:
Step-by-Step Procedure 
In an effort to simplify and streamline this process and maintain our ability to track requests for student payments, L&S uses a simple fillable form which is available via the following links on the L&S Administrative Gateway:
Note that the submission forms allow for multiple funding sources to be included, if necessary.
1. When making a payment to a foreign national student,  you must first determine the student's tax residency status. Complete and send to OHR-Glacier (glacier@ohr.wisc.edu) the NRA Scholarship spreadsheet linked here, and that office will follow up with you regarding the student's tax residency status.
2. Send the completed non-service student payment request form together with the award letter and OHR-Glacier tax residency determination (for foreign national students) to the following email address: studentpayment@ls.wisc.edu (payments to multiple students with the same type of payment may be submitted on an accompanying spreadsheet rather than filling out a separate form for each student – if you submit a spreadsheet, please include all of the same pieces of information as shown on our individual submission form, and list undergraduate and graduate students on separate spreadsheets).
3. Staff from the L&S Business Office will notify the person requesting the lump sum payment if the payment should be processed via the Bursar's Office or via PIR.  If the L&S Business Office determines that the payment must be processed via the payroll system, the L&S Business Office will forward your submission to the L&S HR/Payroll Office.

4. If the L&S Business Office forwards the request to the L&S HR/Payroll Office, Cheryl Adams Kadera will determine the appropriate title and authorize the payment.  Joe Farrenkopf will send additional processing instructions to the person who requested the payment.  Do not make entries in JEMS New Hire prior to receiving such instructions.

At any time during this process, any/all of the staff involved will be able to determine the status of the payment. We have developed an internal tracking system for this purpose. The person in your department requesting the lump sum payment (as indicated at the bottom of the completed form) will be kept informed as actions occur.
Forms and Documents:
Department Usage of the Wisconsin Scholarships Hub (WiSH* system)
Non-Credit External Internship or Research Support payments Review Form:

Non-Service Lump Sum Payment Presentation:
Non-Service Lump Sum - Tax Treatment:
Procedure for processing Non-Resident Aliens from UW-Madison Campus HR

NRA Lump Sum Scholarship Procedure for Departments and Divisions(Updated12302020).pdf

UW-Madison Definitions (Scholarship, Fellowship etc):

Keywords:award, prize, scholarship, fellowship, resident alien, nonresident alien, lump sum, welcome check   Doc ID:84553
Owner:Sandy P.Group:L&S KB
Created:2018-08-07 13:44 CDTUpdated:2022-11-11 10:47 CDT
Sites:L&S KB
Feedback:  0   0