University Committee Meeting Minutes 2013-01-22
approved January 28, 2013
January 22, 2013
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair, Lipton, Petty, Scheufele
1. The meeting began at 11:00 a.m.
2. Motion to approve the minutes of January 14, 2013 by Bernard-Donals, second by Petty. Unanimous.
3. Update from the chancellor
The chancellor reported on a potential donation to complete projects around the East Campus Mall and asked if the University Committee has objections to the East Campus Mall being named for the donor. The UC does not.
The chancellor reported that the proposed College of the Arts will require approval by the state legislature, and recommended that such approval be sought during the first year of the next state budget cycle. This may require that the proposed College of the Arts obtain more philanthropic funding than originally thought necessary.
4. Representatives from the proposed College of the Arts answered questions about the most recent proposal. George Watson from the Office of Quality Improvement answered questions from the University Committee about the budget.
The University Committee will advise the proposed College of the Arts representative on the desired format for presentation of the proposal to a spring Faculty Senate meeting.
5. Greg Downey reported that the UW Flex Faculty and Instructional Academic Staff Advisory Committee is nearing completion of its statement of principles to guide development and implementation of the UW flexible option; the University Committee invited him to provide an update to the Faculty Senate in March.
6. Jeff Russell and Linda Jorn will fund, through private donations, four non-credit, non-monetized MOOCS through Coursera. The University Committee will ask the chancellor to announce this partnership at the February Faculty Senate meeting.
7. Motion to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters, by Bernard-Donals, second by Scheufele. Unanimous.
8. The meeting adjourned at 2:17 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Andrea Poehling, secretary of the faculty.