University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-11-24
approved December 1, 2014
November 24, 2014
Present: Broman, Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Petty, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order at 12:31 p.m.
2. Minutes of the meeting of November 17, 2014, approved.
3. Discussion of upcoming meetings with Dean Golden and Deans Shim and Ortolo-Magné.
4. Update on IRBs: There is a separate review process under way as part of AHARP accreditation. Unanimous consent that this is an inopportune time to open up another study. Decision to push process back until after accreditation.
5. Meyerand moved and Petty 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed: 12:47 PM.
6. SoE search committee faculty list completed. Fair will send to hiring authority.
7. Wendt moved and Meyerand 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed: 1:01 PM.
8. Accreditation and instructor qualification (Michael Bernard-Donals): Handout: Excerpts of gap analysis of Higher Learning Commission requirements. Significant changes in criteria. Bernard-Donals will lead initiative on two new requirements: governance policy establishing standards for instructor qualification (faculty, permanent teaching academic staff) and compilation of full list of instructors (all teachers, including TAs) with credentials. Ample discussion. Consensus that this eventually must go through Senate/Assembly.
9. Administration courses (Jack O’Meara, Michelle Felber, and Terry Shelton): Shelton reviewed outreach to legislators and staff, including classes, workshops, seminars, briefings, leadership training. Interest for more of same from both parties. General discussion.
10. Provost update (Sarah Mangelsdorf)
a. Provost requested suggestions for SOE search, including who might chair.
b. Discussion of sexual assault and Title IX/Clery compliance in light of recent Rolling Stone story about UVA. Need for comprehensive data; AAU putting survey together.
c. Discussion of “Project for Fair Representation” lawsuits and admissions criteria.
11. 2:13 PM: Broman went his own way.
12. Chancellor update (Rebecca Blank)
a. Discussion of Rolling Stone article and relevant UW structure/policy. Discussion about role of university vs law enforcement and burdens of evidence.
b. Chancellor updated UC on charge to VCRGE search and hiring of search firm.
c. Discussion of URC and related review of committees.
d. Discussion of diversity in admissions lawsuits.
e. Discussion of dean of SOE search.
f. Chancellor updated UC on review of compliance and new coordinator position.
g. Discussion of transformational Morgridge gift, the first of its kind.
h. Discussion of Labor Licensing advisory group.
i. Chancellor approved in principle the SOF proposal to change committee letters.
14. Meeting adjourned at 3:07 PM.
Steven K. Smith, Secretary of the Faculty