University Committee Meeting Minutes 2015-02-09
University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved February 16, 2015
February 9, 2015
Present: Broman, Edwards, Fair (chair), Meyerand, Petty (by phone), Wendt
1. Meeting called to order at 1:00 PM.
2. Updates and announcements
a. Felber confirmed PROFS meeting.
b. Fair called UC’s attention to upcoming budget forums.
c. UC discussed items in the governor’s budget proposal.
d. Discussion of faculty representation tabled.
e. Petty informed the UC about a request for joint meetings from Milwaukee. Discussion. Consensus to explore.
f. O’Meara updated the UC on discussions and issues at the Capitol.
3. Minutes of the meeting of February 2, 2015, approved.
4. Meyerand moved and Wendt 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed 1:30 PM.
a. The UC considered and unanimously approved one tenure clock extension request.
b. The UC considered and unanimously approved two dual role waiver requests.
c. Smith updated the UC on a request from the provost’s office to name an executive committee for WISCIENCE. Discussion. Consensus to move forward.
d. Mailick updated the UC on the creation of an ad hoc review committee. Reviews used to be through the Graduate School APC, but are now in Vice Chancellor’s office. Discussion of UC role and related issues. Meyerand will chair review and committee will include URC representative, faculty, and staff.
5. Meyerand moved and Broman 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed: 1:46 PM.
6. Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education update (Marsha Mailick)
a. Mailick and UC discussed overlap between some chapter 6 committees and the URC and possible conflicting mandates. Consensus that vehicle by which faculty can voice concerns/issues to VCRGE is necessary, but also need to avoid chaos and redundancy. This will be considered as part of ongoing review of FPP 6. Chapter 6 committees will be rested pending specification of URC charge.
b. Discussion about amending Faculty Document 2500 and making necessary modifications to FPP.
7. Provost update (Sarah Mangelsdorf). Mangelsdorf was delayed due to another meeting. Brief discussion with UC on budget, layoff notifications, potential student-led actions.
8. Chancellor update (Rebecca Blank)
a. Blank joined discussions with Mangelsdorf and updated UC on meetings with ASM.
b. Blank updated UC on budget-related issues, including letters to alumni and all parents, Chamber of Commerce meeting, and planned budget forums. Discussion about internal and external messaging, public authority, possible “glide paths.”
c. Blank called UC’s attention to timing of spring commencement. Discussion of pros and cons of starting semester earlier.
9. Officer Education committee update tabled to future meeting.
10. Meeting adjourned: 3:08 PM.