University-funded cellular service

About university-funded cellular service

University-funded cellular service/phone assigned to an individual employee

In general, the University has discouraged assigning University-funded cellular service to individual employees, consistent with previously published State of Wisconsin Department of Administration policy. However, Schools/Colleges/Divisions/Departments are authorized to obtain University-funded cellular service for employees in positions where the associated benefits justify the cost to the University. Employees who travel or have job responsibilities that include being out of their office or are continuously on call for extended periods are good candidates for assigned cellular service. Such determinations shall be made by the School/College/Division/Department. When the employee leaves the position or the position no longer meets the criteria outlined above, the cellular phone must be turned in to the employee’s supervisor for reassignment or termination of the service.

University-funded cellular service/phones treated as a pool

In certain cases, it may be more appropriate for a school/college/division/department to purchase cellular service/phones to be available for a pool of employees when they are placed in situations that meet the individual use criteria outlined above.

Personal use of university-funded cellular service/phones

University-funded cellular service/phones are intended for University business only. Personal use is prohibited, except for essential personal calls/texts of minimal duration and frequency.  Supervisors of employees with assigned cellular service/phones or other staff as assigned by Schools/Colleges/Divisions, and supervisors of employees using pooled service/phones, are responsible for monitoring the use of University cellular service/phones by reviewing, with the employee, the detail provided on the monthly cellular phone bill received from DoIT Network Applications. In cases where it is deemed that the personal use exceeds minimal duration and frequency, the School/College/Division may take appropriate disciplinary action against the employee and collect reimbursement for the cost of the excessive calls/texts.

Both the cellular device and account belong to the State of Wisconsin and should not be used for personal purposes. The telephone number is also considered to be part of the account and may not be ported for personal use.

Obtaining University-funded cellular service/phones

The State of Wisconsin Department of Administration has a mandatory contract for the purchase of cellular service/phones which offers a variety of plans depending on the calling pattern expected. Contact DoIT Network Applications to subscribe for service and for more information. Cellular service may not be contracted outside the scope of this contract. Please note that sponsored grants and contracts (funds 133 and 144) may be used to pay for cellular service/phones only after approval by your school/college or sponsor. 

Keywords:Cellular Phone service telephone cell telephone   Doc ID:39380
Owner:Nora W.Group:Voice Services
Created:2014-04-23 09:06 CDTUpdated:2021-08-24 09:52 CDT
Sites:Voice Services
Feedback:  1   0