HS-IRBs News October 2013
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News / Volume 5, Number 10, October 2013
New: HS-IRBs' Education and Outreach Survey
To assist the HS-IRBs' office in assessing its current outreach efforts and developing future educational programs, we are conducting a short survey of the research community. We would very much appreciate your input on outreach services currently provided by the HS-IRBs office as well ideas for future educational opportunities (e.g., IRB staff reviewer liaison for your department/group, workshops on specific IRB topics). Your feedback will be very helpful in shaping both our current and future outreach services.
The survey is available here: https://uwmadison.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eQZRAYdPbRVLq8l.
you in advance for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and to all those who have responded already. If you have any questions regarding this survey, please email email@example.com.
HS-IRBs Office Staff Updates
We are pleased to announce that 3 new or returning staff reviewers have joined the HS-IRBs' office. Please join us in welcoming:
- Stella Krall (formerly Joyce) previously served as an IRB staff reviewer and is returning to the office on a part-time basis. Stella will primarily be reviewing full changes of protocol and will assist with other reviews as needed.
- Jackie Lee has joined the office as a full-time staff reviewer who will be supporting both the HS and MR IRBs. Jackie previously provided regulatory support to the GRECC.
- Jacob Rome has joined the office as a full-time staff reviewer who will be supporting both the HS and MR IRBs. Jake has a JD with a focus on health care law and has worked with the Center for Patient Partnerships.
ARROW Tip: The Edit Administrative Access Activity
Personnel who need read-only access to a study and who are not engaged in human subjects research should not be listed on the study team pages in the ARROW application. Study teams who wish to grant read-only access to UW, UWHC, and/or VA personnel who are NOT engaged in human subjects research for that study should use the Edit Administrative Access activity rather than submitting a personnel change. For more information on using the Edit Administrative Access activity, please see Accessing ARROW for Administrative Personnel at UW-Madison Not Engaged in Human Subjects Research.
Reminder: New Self-Certification Tool for Not Research Projects Now Available
As previously announced, the HS IRBs Office has developed a Research Decision Tool that can provide certification to researchers that a project does not require IRB review and oversight. The new guidance materials are available on the Guidance on Research vs. Quality Improvement and Program Evaluation page of the HS-IRBs' website.
Please keep the following tips in mind when using the new self-certification tool:
- The entire tool is only 1 page long.
- The first question in the tool must be answered first before the next question can be viewed.
- Recent security updates to Mozilla Firefox web browser have created issues with opening the tool. Please follow these steps if you encounter issues opening the tool. While in Mozilla browser, go to:
- Applications tab
- Under heading "Content Type," scroll down to "Portable Document Format"
- In the drop-down box to the right, select "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)"
- Click "OK"
IRB for Beginners Workshops Return in 2014
Over 150 people attended the IRB for Beginners workshops in 2013. We thank everyone who attended for making the workshops so successful. The next sessions of the workshop will be offered starting in February 2014 and will be announced in future newsletters and through the listserv.
Information previously provided on this page has been relocated to our new IRB website.
Please visit this page for information about connecting with the IRBs.