SIS/Advisor Assign - Adding a Student Advisor
Learn how to navigate to the Student Advisor page, what the page fields mean, and how to add a student advisor.
The Student Advisor page provides you the opportunity to add, change, and delete advisors.
- Student Records WorkCenter, Student Advisor
- > Records and Enrollment > Student Background Information > Student Advisor
Security Alert: Update users have access to change any student's record. When searching for a student, use Campus ID to ensure you are updating the correct student's record. Use the Advisor Audit tab to view changes that were made and who made them.
The table below describes the fields found on the Student Advisor page:
|Name||Student’s primary name.|
|ID||SIS ID. This number is system-generated and not the same as the Campus ID.|
|Campus ID||Student’s 10-digit campus ID number.|
|Academic Institution||Defaults to ‘UWMSN’, for UW–Madison|
Last date a change was made to a student’s advisor assignment.
Relationship to Program/Plan Page Effective Dates:
In order for the student’s Academic Program & Plan data to be available in the magnifying glass Look up lists on the Student Advisor page, the Effective Date on the Student Advisor page must be later than or equal to the Effective Date on the Program/Plan page.
The following rules generally apply to how actions on the Program/Plan page are effective dated:
Type of advisor to this student. Defaults to ‘Academic’; Change if needed.
Indicates the student’s ‘Academic’ advisor assigned in relation to the student’s program and plan. Every undergraduate and graduate student must have an assigned ‘Academic’ advisor.
Besides a primary ‘Academic’ advisor, the student may have other defined auxiliary advisor assignments, such as:
Contact Katie Paar to create new auxiliary advisor type.
|Advisor Number||Automatically updates to indicate the order of advisor assignments. This may or may not indicate the number of advisors currently assigned to a student since rows are sometimes deleted and the Advisor Number does not change|
All students belong to an academic career: Undergraduate, Graduate, Law, Medical, Pharmacy, Vetmed, or Univ Specials Students.
All Academic Careers recorded on the Student Program/Plan page as of the Effective Date on the Student Advisor page will be available for selection.
Select correct option. (no warning if incorrect selection)
UGRD = Degree (BS, BA)
GRAD = Major (Chem)
Academic Career selected above drives the Academic Program selection list.
All current Academic Programs recorded on the Student Program/Plan page within the chosen Academic Career as of the Effective Date on the Student Advisor page will be available for selection.
Select correct option. (no warning if incorrect selection)
UGRD = Major (English)
GRAD = Degree (MA, MS)
Academic Program selected above drives the Academic Plan selection list.
All current Academic Plans recorded on the Student Program/Plan page within the chosen Academic Program as of the Effective Date on the Student Advisor page will be available for selection.
If the student has not yet selected an Academic Plan, select ‘No Major Code’ (e.g., BA 000 or BS 000).
Select correct option.
Note: There is no warning if an incorrect selection is made.
Special notes for use of Academic Plan: Auxiliary Advisors: Leave Academic Plan field blank.
SIS EmplID of assigned advisor.
Tip: Use the magnifying glass Look up button to find the advisor you are seeking by L & F Name or Campus ID.
This search only looks at active advisors as identified on the Instructor/Advisor Table ( Advisor).
Navigate to: > Curriculum Management > Instructor/Advisor Information > Instructor/Advisor Table.
Contact Debbie Moy to activate advisor.
|Advisor Percentage||UW–Madison does not use this field. Leave field empty.|
If you checked Advised by Committee, select committee name.
Contact Debbie Moy to create a committee
|Advised by Committee||
Check if you want to assign a pre-defined committee.
When Advised by Committee is checked , the Committee field activates, and the Academic Advisor field inactivates.
To add an advisor to a student's record, follow the steps below.
From Home, select: Student Records WorkCenter, Student Advisor. The Find page will display
Tip: Menu navigation: > Records and Enrollment > Student Background Information > Student Advisor
Use the Find page to locate the student's record. The student's information will display on the Student Advisor page.
Select Student Advisor page tab.
Depending on the student's advisor record, follow the appropriate process.
If the Academic Advisor or Committee field is filled in with existing information
- If the Effective Date is prior to today, change Effective Date to today's date. If it a future date, leave Effective Date as is.
- Go to the last row and select the Add button next to Advisor Number.
- Follow the 'Is Blank' procedure.
If the Academic Advisor and Committee field is blank
Complete all the fields as advised in the Field Descriptions.
- Academic Institution = UWMSN
- Effective Date = today's date or first day of next term
- Advisor Role = 'Academic' (default), or select appropriate auxiliary Advisor Role
- Academic Career
- Academic Program
- Academic Plan
- If 'Academic' assign Plan. If not 'Academic', leave Plan blank
- Academic Advisor, for specific advisor, or
- check Advised by Committee, and
- select predefined Committee
- If the correct Academic Program, Plan, or Committee does not appear in the magnifying glass look up prompts with today's date, change the Effective Date to start of the next term. Term Begin and End Dates can be found using the following navigation: Student Records WorkCenter > Dean/Dept Processing > Session Dates and Deadlines
- If the correct Program or Plan still does not appear, the changes may not have been processed yet or the Major Declaration may not have been submitted. You can check using the following navigation: Student Records WorkCenter > Major Dec History
- Contact Debbie Moy to activate advisor or create committee
Select [Save]. The advisor is saved to the student's record.