LastPass - Converting to NetID Login
Follow these steps to convert from a LastPass Master Password to NetID authentication.
Note: We prefer "primary" to "master," but LastPass uses "master." We've used "master" in this documentation to avoid confusion.
Converting to NetID Login Procedure:
- Request the Conversion to NetID Login:
- Conversion can be requested via an email to the DoIT HelpDesk (email@example.com).
- Submitting will generate a WiscIT ticket for your request.
- A LastPass Enterprise admin will prepare your account for conversion.
- Once preparation is complete, the LastPass Enterprise admin will sync your account to NetID login.
- Please allow up to one hour for sync to complete. You may proceed once you receive an email notification from LastPass letting you know an admin has enabled federated (NetID) login:
- Login to your LastPass Browser Extension using your existing LastPass Master Password.
- If it doesn't happen automatically, follow the redirect to the LastPass website:
- Enter your existing Master Password in the "Old Master Password" field.
- Complete the authentication by acknowledging the MFA (Duo) prompt.
- A "Preparing New Login" notification will appear.
- During this time, LastPass is re-encrypting all of your password. DO NOT CLOSE YOUR BROWSER.
- When the encryption process is completed, you'll receive a message that a new password has been set. This indicates you've successfully converted your LastPass account to use NetID.
- The next time you log in to your LastPass Browser extension, enter your email address and follow the usual NetID login process. You should not be prompted for a Master Password. Since NetID is a Single Sign On (SSO) mechanism, if you already had logged into another system with your NetID you may not be prompted to authenticate again with NetID.
- If you run into any issues during the conversion clear your browser cache and restart your browser session.
- Your cache can be cleared through your browser History.
- You may also need to uninstall and reinstall the LastPass browser extension.
- Be sure to close all open tabs after clearing your cache or reinstalling the browser extension.