UW-Madison Box - Recommended Browsers and Operating Systems
This document outlines the browser requirements for accessing UW-Madison Box.
On June 15, 2022, Microsoft will be ending support for Internet Explorer 11. You may encounter a degraded experience or be unable to connect to Box when using Internet Explorer 11. Earlier versions of Internet Explorer are blocked accessing Box.
In general, Box supports the current and prior major releases of the following web browser and desktop/mobile Operating System (OS) versions on a rolling basis.
The following browsers are fully supported for use with Box:
Chrome - The two latest, released versions.
Firefox - The two latest, released versions.
Safari - The two latest, released versions on macOS.
Microsoft Edge - The latest two versions of the new Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based).
Internet Explorer (IE) - IE 11 only (older versions of IE are blocked from accessing Box)
- Folder uploads are no longer supported with IE version 11 and that functionality was removed December 2019.
- Users accessing Box through IE version 11 can only upload files under 4 GB in size.
- A file whose name contains more than 50 characters may not be downloadable via IE11, due to IE11's limitation on URL length.
Note: Certain applications will not function in browser modes that do not support cookies (e.g. incognito mode in Google Chrome), or browsers configured to prevent the creation of cookies. For more information on managing cookies as well as links to instructions for enabling them on individual browsers, see: Web Browsers - Cookies FAQ.
The following operating systems are fully supported for use with Box:
- Windows - The two latest released versions.
- Support for Windows XP and Vista ended on October 31, 2014.
- macOS - The two latest major versions.
- Android - All versions of Android released within the last three years.
- iOS - The two latest released versions.
Additional information on Box software requirements can be found here: Understand the Box Policy For Browser and OS Support