Engage - Ordering eTexts/publisher Digital Learning Tools (DLTs) with the Order Tool
This document describes how to submit orders for digital content for course sections using the Order Tool. The content ordered will be viewable in the Engage tool or a publisher Digital Learning Tool (DLT), depending on the materials ordered.
For accessibility concerns, please review Engage Order Tool - Accessibility & Usability Information
To see a list of terminology used in Engage, please refer to Engage - Engage Terminology.
Note: Only Instructors and Course Coordinators (curricular representatives) may order digital content for courses they have access to. For more information on roles (also called profiles) in the Order Tool, please review this document.
- Instructors: After you are designated as Instructor on Record for your course, you will be added automatically (within 24-48 hours).
- Course Coordinators: Coordinators can order content on behalf of instructors. Try logging into the Order Tool with your NetID and Password. If your account has not been created automatically, please contact the DoIT Help Desk to request one.
Placing an eText/DLT Order
Before ordering eTexts/DLTs, it’s important to understand ordering periods. Please review this information before beginning the order process.
- During the Ordering Period, log into the Order Tool with your NetID and Password.
- Select Place an Order from the Navigation Menu. You will see ordering periods listed with available course offerings.
- Filter the course list to locate your course.
When you have found your course, click Start new order. If available, you can also Reorder prior materials.
Search for your content by ISBN, title, or publisher. You can further filter by publisher and material type (eText vs DLT) after the initial search by checking the appropriate boxes on the left-hand side.
When you’ve found the content you’d like to use, click the blue + symbol next to the price.
At the top right of the screen, click Checkout.
Check the box under Terms & conditions and click Submit Order.
After you've placed your order, nothing more needs to be done. The eText attribute will be added to your course in the Course Search and Enroll app before enrollment begins. You do not need to enter anything additionally into Faculty Center.
Note: If you are ordering a publisher DLT, you do not need to order the corresponding eText as well; the eText is included in the DLT purchase!
If you were unable to find your materials after searching, you can place a content request by following these steps:
- Click Submit a Content Request above the search bar.
- Enter in the Title (required) and as many additional fields (Publisher, Author, Edition, ISBN) as possible. Then click Add Content Request.
- Follow steps 7 and 8 above.
Alternatively, using the Reorder function will automatically submit a content request for you. Content requests can be viewed and managed through the Content Request Tool. This can be accessed by selecting Content Requests from the Order menu.
More information can be found in Unizin’s documentation for placing an order.
Note: These steps assume that you have first searched for your digital materials - if you have not, please first follow the directions in the prior panel. Searching is the way to bring up the link to submit a Content Request.
If you will be using the same materials as a prior semester, you can also reorder those materials in a more streamlined manner. Please use the process outlined in this document to reorder your materials.
Ordering for Crosslisted and Meets-With Courses
If your course is crosslisted, you do not need to place an order for all sections. You will only need to place an order for the primary course. For example, if you’re teaching Finance 300 (primary), which is crosslisted with Econ 300, you will need to place an order only for Finance 300.
Meets-with courses are handled differently. These require ordering for each section. For example, if you teach M E 200 and it meets-with E M A 300, you will need to place an order for both M E 200 and E M A 300.If you’re unsure of the difference, please review this Registrar Cheat Sheet.
Modifying your Order
The order tool provides several options for modifying your order, once you’ve placed it:
- If you’d like to select more course sections after placing your order, see Add sections to a placed order
- To make changes after placing an order, you may Edit a placed order or Cancel an order
- View your order history to locate previous orders
- If there is an item you’d like to use that isn’t available on the catalog, submit a content request (topic 4 in linked doc)
- If someone else created the order on your behalf, only they will be able to make changes.
Note on Searching: You can search ISBN, by title, or by author. Typically, ISBN is easiest. If you're having trouble finding your eText/DLT, you can use the filters to show only eText, only DLT, or only a specific publisher. If you still cannot find the correct materials, you can submit a Content Request. These requests will be reviewed by Unizin and the materials added to the Order Tool's catalog. It should be noted that, depending on when submitted, they may not be available by the time the order period closes.
How to Handle New Sections/Dropped Sections
If you are teaching a course that is using Engage and a new section is added after you've placed your order, you will need to order your eText/DLT for the new section. If the ordering period has passed, please contact the DoIT Help Desk to have a case sent to the Engage Team to get that ordered.
If a section is dropped, you do not need to do anything - the order will cancel automatically.
Next Steps for Instructors
For next steps (such as creating your syllabus or setting up your course) please review the following documents:
- To add the Engage eText tool to Canvas, see Engage - Adding the Engage eText tool to your Canvas course and other preparation for instructors using Engage
- If you are using a publisher Digital Learning Tool (DLT), see Engage - Set-Up/Preparation for Instructors using a publisher Digital Learning Tool (DLT)
- Review ways to make your course accessible
Creating your Syllabus
- If using Engage eText, consider this language to make things clearer for your students (and remind them they do not have to purchase anything additionally): Engage - Sample language for syllabi and Canvas courses using an Engage eText
- For publisher DLT users, consider this when crafting your syllabus to make things clearer for your students (and remind them they do not have to purchase anything additionally): Engage - Sample language for syllabi and Canvas courses using a publisher Digital Learning Tool (DLT)
- To add accessibility language to your syllabus, review McBurney’s suggestions
Interacting with students
To add annotations to the text for students to review, see Adding Annotations
Note: Social features such as having students share their notes are not accessible and should not be used as a grade item. Annotations should be made available in a Word document for students who need an accessible version.
There are additional resources at your disposal for using Engage eTexts and DLTs:
- For recommendations on how to use Engage, see Engage - Best Practices for Instructors
- To see more help documents for instructors, see Help for Instructors
- For help documents to share with your students, see Help for Students
If you need assistance with ordering, or have any questions about it, please first contact the DoIT Help Desk for further assistance.