WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Embedding Tableau Visualizations
This document will walk you through the process of adding a Tableau visualization to your WiscWeb site.
- Review the WiscWeb Tableau Policy and note the recommendations for use
- Your visualizations can be built in the campus Tableau tool (DataViz) or at the Public Tableausite.
Embedding a Tableau Visualization in a Page
Login to the UW-Madison's Enterprise Tableau Environment
Locate your data visualization
In the top right corner of the screen, click on the Share icon
- Copy the sharing link from the pop-up window (do not use the Embed code option as it will not work)
- Navigate to the WiscWeb page that you'd like to add the visualization to
- Paste the share link into a Text Block or the Embed Content page element
- Publish your page
Resizing Your Visualization
The oEmbed plugin simply places your visualization in the page. It is not a vehicle for augmenting its display. Therefore, much of the display maintenance will have to occur in Tableau. This is especially important to consider if your embedded visualization requires either vertical or horizontal scrolling. The best way to prevent this is to resize the visualization sizing (width and height) in Tableau. The box will always display as 100% width in WiscWeb.
- It may take a moment for your page to load when a visualization is embedded on it.
- Adding multiple visualizations to a page is not recommended as it could delay page load.
- If your visualization is requiring users to scroll vertically and horizontally, this is because Tableau's charts and graphs are not responsive. They will not resize to fit the window.